
So how far would you go to get one of PA's top grouse pups? Not knowing if he indeed would make a grouse dog? Not knowing if you would bond with this "started dog" from Moline Ill? Not knowing where in the hell Moline Ill. was? I can tell you this! A hell of a long way, about 18 hours round trip without a break. Well the date doesn't matter. It was late in the night! My brother, Henry rolled in about 11 PM to my house in PA's Historic Mainline. Shannon's GMC Jimmy was gassed up and ready to go. We rolled through my home state of Pa through West Virginia, Ohio into Indiana. The trip was about 9 hours. A few pauses at rest stops and truck stops, a couple cups of coffee and a greasy breakfast about 10 miles outside of Indianapolis Motor speed Way, and we were there. We waited only about 20 minutes as Mike and Lana Hambly made it there from Moline Illonois. I remember exchanging a few bucks for shots and some gas money for Mike and Lana. The papers were in my hands. A lanky Liver/ Rhone German Shorthaired Pointer was lead from the Hambly's station wagon. I recall seeing the size of the pup's feet and thinking to myself, "wow, this dog is going to be big!" Glancing back at "Ticket" as he calmly laid in the back of the truck, his warm hazel eyes staring at me, as to say, "What good times we are going to have, some will be tough, others not so hard, but there will come a day, when you will have to make a very hard decision." "Know this, I hold no ill will, just provide me with game, love and a warm fire and I will be content." It has been over 10 years since I made that trip. "Ticket" has hunted with countless friends, family and clients. The most memorable was with my father and brother on a New Years Day pheasant hunt. We killed some birds and had a ton of laughs. My biggest accomplishment as a handler was a day,when my dad and mom joined me on a grouse hunt in a small covert, north of the Steady Point Base in Columbia County. As I slowly walked back to the truck, I heard my father exclaim, "Well there definitely weren't any birds in there. That dog checked every bush and blow down. Boy did he work well." My heart swelled with pride. Knowing that the man that had taught me about bird dogs, had enjoyed working behind my dog, made me smile. Today, my kennel has 5 dogs in it. 1 is a retired hound, but he makes a good partner on cold nights at the Steady Point Bar. He lays quietly next to me, while I enjoy the fire and a nice glass of Klipdrift Brandy. I hope the Good Lord gives me an outlet when he takes my dogs. That will be a hard time indeed. I guess He will just have me take a walk in a familiar covert to say goodbye to a great companion. If only people could be as faithful as a well trained German Shorthair!
Steady Point Upland Guide Service
No comments:
Post a Comment