The old adage goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." While contemplating this many things came to mind. Fishing with my father in law, Bob, on the back bays of the Delaware Bay. Bob hooking into a huge sea robin, referring to it as a trash fish, releasing it, but knowing that the back meat of that fish is some of the whitest, firmest fish in the ocean. Driving through our section of rural PA and seeing all the folks at local yard sales, pondering what to lay their hard earned cash for.
This scenario brings to mind also guns that I use and hold dear in my grouse hunting arsenal. Most gun snobs or even like minded sportsman would shun if given the choice between them and a Remington 870 pump, but the adage holds true. I wouldn't give up my Brazilian made E.R. Amiantino over and under nor would I pawn my restocked A.H. Fox Sterlingworth, for more than their Grade "A" Gun Bible Value. Why? Because they are a treasure to me.
Now the real purpose of this pontificating is this. I have heard and agree mostly with the plight of Pennsylvania sportsman and landowners over the invasion of Striped Maple. The fact that they do not provide any thing in nourishment to Native PA species is a vital fact indeed. They take over stands of once cherry and aspen that had been harvested years prior. Now if the managers had this in mind prior to leaving this now fertile plot to the likes of striped maple and green briar, you think they would put a little back and re plant and destroy the maple and green briar before it took hold.
That said, I can also say that I have found gobs of ruffs holed up in striped maple thickets around the northern tier. They provide over head cover to the wildlife from winged and four legged predators alike. Also they lay the ground work for a lattice of tea berries, which feed the birds through the autumn. So I say, if life gives you lemons, in this case Striped Maple, turn that annoying invasive species into a arms length partner and hunt the edges or if you dare enter the stand. But be forewarned, striped maple thickets will turn you around faster than a hemlock swamp in mid October. Also if you value the stock on your grade "A" Rizzini or Kimber Side by side, stay out. You probably are too proper to hunt the back country anyway. Leave those tougher spots to us, uncultured swine that you wince at on the roadside, cooking lunch on our Coleman stoves, on rusted pickup truck tailgates.
But keep this in mind, when we met at days end, at a local watering hole and you start to whine about the lack of birds in the area, don't mind us chuckling to ourselves. You see Grouse may not be where they were 10 years ago, but just like any wild creature, worth its salt, it will adapt to its surroundings. Shame on you for not being as advanced and adapting to yours. I will and continue to, so my gun stays warm and I can stroke the feathers, of the prize that is the ruffed grouse.
Steady Point Upland Guide Service
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Now by no means did I intend to offend anyone that truely hunts grouse with a Rizzini or any other high grade scattergun, I was mearly making a point that the Thickets can tear up all equipment so tread lightly.
ReplyDeleteRuss