I know what you're thinking, You can't train hunting dogs, let along pointers in High Temps! Now by high temps I mean anything from the low 70's to the low 90's. Although I'm sure there are people that do feel the need to train their dogs in those higher temps(ie, Southwest) but here in the Northeast, we tend to lean more towards the 50's and below.
Well today there was a nice light breeze from the East on my small piece of heaven, Pigeons in the coup and some young German Short haired puppies that wanted some fun. So I hobbled a pigeon and placed it in a piece of cover that looked pretty "Grousy" and let the fun begin.
The first pup that was put on lead was Steady Point's Duelling Gunner. Gunner seemed very happy but not knowing that he was about to make game. I lead him through the thick underbrush and then it happened. I could see the change in his demeanor, as if his brain said "Now this is what I was made to do!" He began to scent check the wind. I knew he had smelled the bird, he just couldn't pin it down. No problem. As he got closer to where I knew he would see it flush, I "Whoa"ed him. Gunner locked up. The bird was put to flight and Gunner flinched a bit, but remained "Steady" has he intently looked at where the bird had landed. His body quivered but he remained solid. I released him again with a tap of the head and he took two more steps and locked up again. "Finished"!
I moved Gunner from the area has he gleefully bounced around like a ping pong ball, back into the yard. He was put away and the bird was reset for his sister. I put Stella Blu on lead and she was a bit hesitant to leave the yard, as she had an uncanny way of escaping in the past.
As I got her from the yard, Stella, like her mom went directly to tracking mode. She followed my exact steps through the brush, where I moved to place the bird. Not bad for temps in the mid 80's. Stella moved more intently to the scent of the waiting pigeon. When she got into the area of the scent cone and I knew she would be able to see the flush, I "Whoa"ed her. My son Hunter moved in and flushed the bird. Stella didn't flinch! She stood there head high, tail ridged and solid. I was so proud. I released her and the bird was flushed once more. Same result.
Training done! Just enough to keep the fire alive and to sharpen those noses a bit. The pigeon was unscathed and put back into the pen. The dogs, still excited were let to the house for a drink and a bit of rest. I may, depending on the wind, do this drill in a different place tomorrow evening to keep them sharp.
Good Hunting,
Russ Hittle
Steady Point Upland Guide Service
Morgantown, PA
Well today there was a nice light breeze from the East on my small piece of heaven, Pigeons in the coup and some young German Short haired puppies that wanted some fun. So I hobbled a pigeon and placed it in a piece of cover that looked pretty "Grousy" and let the fun begin.
The first pup that was put on lead was Steady Point's Duelling Gunner. Gunner seemed very happy but not knowing that he was about to make game. I lead him through the thick underbrush and then it happened. I could see the change in his demeanor, as if his brain said "Now this is what I was made to do!" He began to scent check the wind. I knew he had smelled the bird, he just couldn't pin it down. No problem. As he got closer to where I knew he would see it flush, I "Whoa"ed him. Gunner locked up. The bird was put to flight and Gunner flinched a bit, but remained "Steady" has he intently looked at where the bird had landed. His body quivered but he remained solid. I released him again with a tap of the head and he took two more steps and locked up again. "Finished"!
I moved Gunner from the area has he gleefully bounced around like a ping pong ball, back into the yard. He was put away and the bird was reset for his sister. I put Stella Blu on lead and she was a bit hesitant to leave the yard, as she had an uncanny way of escaping in the past.
As I got her from the yard, Stella, like her mom went directly to tracking mode. She followed my exact steps through the brush, where I moved to place the bird. Not bad for temps in the mid 80's. Stella moved more intently to the scent of the waiting pigeon. When she got into the area of the scent cone and I knew she would be able to see the flush, I "Whoa"ed her. My son Hunter moved in and flushed the bird. Stella didn't flinch! She stood there head high, tail ridged and solid. I was so proud. I released her and the bird was flushed once more. Same result.
Training done! Just enough to keep the fire alive and to sharpen those noses a bit. The pigeon was unscathed and put back into the pen. The dogs, still excited were let to the house for a drink and a bit of rest. I may, depending on the wind, do this drill in a different place tomorrow evening to keep them sharp.
Good Hunting,
Russ Hittle
Steady Point Upland Guide Service
Morgantown, PA
No comments:
Post a Comment